Sunday, October 11, 2015

Kathleen's Scallop Casserole


Believe it or not, I was cleaning out my floppy disks (I had to buy an adapter to use on my laptop) and found my old recipes from the late 80's.

This recipe is RICH, but worth every calorie! You might find it perfect for a special occasion, but here in New England, I used to make it a couple times a month. You can always sub lobster or another type of seafood. Time for me to go shopping...

2 lbs. small scallops

1 ¼ sticks of real butter (no substitutes!)

1 pint all purpose cream (or light cream); warmed

10-12 Ritz crackers (or any other buttery tasting cracker)

½ tsp. salt

½ tsp. pepper

¼ tsp. celery salt

½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Dash hot pepper sauce (optional)

4 heaping tbsp. white flour

Melt 1 stick of butter in a skillet. Add scallops and spices; cook over low heat 8-10 minutes. Blend in the flour; add warmed cream. Cook 2-3 minutes or until it comes to a boil. Remove and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Melt remaining butter in small saucepan; add crumbed crackers and stir. Sprinkle cracker mixture over the top of casserole. 

Bake at 425 degrees, covered for 10 minutes. Uncover; bake an additional 5 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.

This is great served over rice pilaf with green peas. Tastes even better the second day!

No comments:

Post a Comment