Sunday, May 4, 2014

Meet New Swapper Tracy H. of CA

Tracy H. is one of our new swappers from sunny CA. Here is a little bit about her "hexie history."

"I am a grad student, just about to finish a teacher credential program before starting my Masters in Education.

I took sewing classes from Winky Cherry (her sewing for kids books are the best!) while growing up, but never had a machine as an adult, so I stopped sewing beyond the basic mending.  When I became a preschool teacher, the director of the school was a quilter and got me interested in quilting.  I did mostly hand piecing and tied quilts when they were finished.  I bought a small "sewing genie" machine for my classroom and used it to make quilts for about 10 years before it died.
 
About five years ago I stumbled onto a blog that demonstrated how to make hexies and I thought "I can totally do that!"  I started working on a 1930's print flower garden quilt when I got engaged, and I am still working on it 4 years later!!  I currently have 3 hexie quilts going.  I love paper piecing because it is so portable.  I also love cross-stitching and other needle crafts andI teach young children sewing, embroidery and cross-stitch.

Here is a picture of a quilt that uses fabric that I bought on our honeymoon!  It is almost done- I am adding another row around the edges before sending it off to be finished!"

No comments:

Post a Comment